All Rights Reserved
MOVE Chamber is a 501c6 business chamber organization. We are committed to: Supporting candidates & initiatives committed to the betterment of the Muslim business community. Electing candidates who recognize that underserved and Muslim business executives are an underserved population needing access to opportunities and the removal of structural barriers.
Why Have Endorsements?
MOVE Chamber will, during election cycles for local or state elections, find it beneficial to Endorse candidates in our efforts to build and efforts political voice through:
- Relationship Building with candidates and elected officials in order to co-govern with them
- Targeted GOTV and field work aligned with Recommendations in a campaign cycle
- Strengthening the Chamber Base and capturing the mobilizing energy of elections and voters
- Influencing the overall political issue environment by connecting a positive or negative public stance by a candidate to issues of concern for the Chamber
Overview of Endorsement Process
- Convene an Endorsement Committee that leads the MOVE Chamber process
- Select races to Endorse in (see “Process for Selecting Races” below)
- Review written questionnaire to disseminate to candidates and make revisions as needed each election cycle -MOVE Chamber Recommendation Questionnaire
- Email questionnaires to all candidates in races identified as priorities for the election cycle
- Once responses are submitted, members review candidate responses
- Optional/if possible/if needed: Invite selected candidates to an in person interview attended by members of the Endorse Committee, staff, and/or MOVE’s board
- Committee deliberates and makes a Endorsement or no-Endorsement, or other to the board. 60% threshold required for an Endorsement.
- MOVE Chamber Board votes to ratify or veto the Endorsement of the committee. Endorsements may also be made in groups, and not all at once.
- Once Endorsements are finalized, the MOVE Chamber will do the following things:
- Press Release, email and Social Media/Networks Posts. We will work with candidate’s team to finalize.
- Voter Engagement Support – phone-banking and/or door-knocking, other opportunities to engage with voters
- Financial Support recommendations shared with members
- Above actions will have a legal review by our Legal Team
Process for Selecting Races
The MOVE Chamber Endorsement Committee is tasked with selecting the races in which we will initiate an Endorsement process. They will consider the following:
- Is this a district where we have civic influence and/or want to build more influence? Strategic opportunity for the Chamber and Muslim voters to be the margin of victory.
- Will the outcome of the race impact an issue that MOVE Chamber cares deeply about; or that we are already working on?
- What are the political risks of making or not making an Endorsement in this race? For example, is there a risk of splitting our base? Or opportunity to grow it? Is there a risk of alienating allies or will we attract new allies?
- Opportunity for us to build/broaden our base and/or MOVE Chamber in the geographic area or through campaigns?
- Are our partners and members genuinely excited to support this candidate with their time, money and credibility?
Recommendation Criteria for Candidates
The criteria below are meant to provide a framework for a nuanced discussion about candidates. Not every item on the list is a yes/no question — a candidate’s lack of one criterion does not necessarily disqualify them from Endorsement.
Candidates must go through the process outlined above.
MOVE Chamber does not automatically Endorse Muslim candidates- we Endorse candidates who meet our core values towards a strong and equitable America.
A. Candidate Story
- History of involvement in local community/neighborhood
- Demonstrated leadership / impact on community issues, inclusion, social justice
- On the issues identified in the MOVE Chamber’s Endorsement Questionnaire
- Relationship’s with partner orgs, ally orgs, divergent orgs, local orgs
- Significant Endorsement, donors, affiliations w/ other orgs/individuals
D. Campaign Path to Victory
- Must have field plan
- Demonstrated ability to raise funds to compete
- Assess campaign narrative/communications
E. Coalition-Activate’s Capacity
- Our capacity to offer support, fieldwork, and financial contributions in the race
- Can we make a difference with our support?
Rescinding an Endorsement
If, upon further review, or upon actions by a candidate which the MOVE Chamber deems against our mission and core values (See Chamber Impact Strategy), the MOVE Chamber board may rescind the Endorsement of a candidate/official. MOVE Chamber staff will take appropriate action to communicate the rescinding of the endorsement.